Make sure you have a sturdy, reliable raincoat before exploring the coastal city of Bergen. Surrounded by mountains and fjords that look over the city, there is ample opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty along with several fun activities to explore on the cobbled streets. Once the capital of Norway, it is now known as a college town, but inhabitants still have fierce pride for this unforgettable city.
Best Time to Visit:
Between May and September to get warmer temperatures (mid 60s-mid 70s); rainiest months are September and October
Also Read: Travel Guide Oslo, Norway
Places to Go and See:
Come learn about the rich maritime history of Bergen, along with miniature displays of ships spanning over hundreds of years. This museum is perfect for anyone interested in modern boats, along with viking ships that have been unearthed over the years.
- Hours: Mon-Fri 10-4, Sat & Sun 10-5
- Best Time: Anytime, since all the attractions are located indoors
- Price: 150 NOK
Take a trip up the Fløibanen Funicular to see a bird’s eye view of Bergen. Along with the incredible views, there are shops and eateries you can go to, along with trolls hidden in the forest for you to find. Once you’re done, you can either walk down the winding path to the bottom of the mountain, or take the funicular back down.
- Hours: ~8:00-23:00 everyday, though some times may change depending on the season
- Best Time: Clear or slightly rainy day, since many of the sights are outside and require walking to get to them
- Price: Return ticket 120 NOK, One way ticket 65 NOK
Take a walk through the city of Bergen and explore past and present landmarks with an experienced tour guide. Each tour is small, so that you can ask as many questions as you want and never get lost in the winding streets that stretch up the hillside.
- Hours: 10am, 2pm, or 6pm
- Best Time: Any day that has a smaller chance of rain, but always wear proper rain gear just in case that it does rain while you are on the tour.
- Price: 25.78 USD
If you enjoy seafood, then travel to the fish market and explore the meeting place of fishermen and locals for hundreds of years. In addition to seafood, there is also fruits and vegetables for sale. You can also explore the various restaurants set up around the space, and dine on some Norwegian cuisine.
- Hours: 9-21, closed in the winter
- Best Time: Any time, as there are several tents to keep you out of the rain, but since it is outside try for a warmer day.
- Price: Varies depending on what you are buying and where
Read More: Travel Guide Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
If you’ve never been to an ice bar, this is definitely a place you want to go to at night. For 45 minutes sit on animal pelts wrapped in a parka and gloves while sipping on alcohol drinks and admiring the carved ice all around you. Fun for both groups and individuals, this is a great place to have some fun in an unconventional bar.
- Hours: Summer 11:00-23:00, Winter 16:00-23:00
- Best Time: Anytime, as the whole bar is indoors.
- Price: 300 NOK for one drink and complementary jacket/gloves; extra drinks will cost more
Jump in the fjord when you get too hot at Heit Bergen Sauna, and hop right back into the pristine wooden buildings sitting right on the water. This is not for everyone, but if you want to be a little adventurous and have a once-in-a-lifetime experience, you should reserve your ticket today.
- Hours: Mon-Fri 10:00-22:00; Sat & Sun 10:30-20:30
- Best Time: During the summer months when the water is a little warmer to jump in when you get too hot in the sauna
- Price: 50 minute sauna 149 NOK; 1 hour and 50 minute sauna 249 NOK
Also Read: 10 Solo Travel Tips to Get You Wandering
If you’re looking for a delicious steakhouse away from home, come to Big Horn to satisfy all your beef cravings. With an easy-to-read menu and various choices of sides and desserts, this restaurant will make sure you’re stuffed by the time you leave.
- Hours: Mon-Sun 15:00-22:00
- Featured Food: Tenderloin 7 oz / Grilled filet of salmon
Full of classic Norwegian cuisine, Bryggeloftet is a restaurant you need to visit to get the full experience of Norway. Make sure to plan ahead though, as this restaurant fills up quickly due to its delectable food at every course, and warm atmosphere.
- Hours: Mon-Sun 12:00-23:00
- Featured Food: Filet of Norwegian Lamb / Whale Steak
- Featured Amenities: Free breakfast, Free WiFi, Game Room, Baggage Storage, Fitness Center, Pet Friendly w/extra charge
- Hotel Information: Check in 3pm, Check out 12pm, Extra charge Parking
- Featured Amenities: Free WiFi, Laundry Services, Free breakfast, Pet Friendly, Wide selection of TV channels, In-house Bar/Bistro
- Hotel Information: Check in 3pm, Check out 12pm, Discount on City Parking
- Featured Amenities: Free WiFi, Free breakfast, In-house Restaurant, Fitness Center, Pet Friendly, Room Service
- Hotel Information: Check in 3pm, check out 12pm, No parking
- Featured Amenities: Free breakfast, Free WiFi, In-house Bar, Air-conditioning, Baggage Storage, In-house Restaurant
- Hotel Information: Check in 3pm, Check out 12pm, Parking extra charge
Whether you want to see the fjords or have fun on the perpetually rainy days of Bergen, this city is full of history from past to present. Take either a few days or a week here, and you will always find something new to explore.